Tuesday 3 April 2018

At One's Fingertips: New Plan

Personal Information Management

I would say I have a good memory for the day to day things that I need to do.  “It’s all up there”  But when it comes to writing up the monthly reports for my work.  I end up short changing myself.  Yes, there are lists of what I have done.  But it sometimes fails to capture the qualatative value of the work.  Something a student says or an observation I might make about the library or an activity can be forever lost.  Where did I write it down!

Evernote – “Remembering everything”  after several weeks of using it, I think it has definitely put structure on this. It is easy to use. Initially I thought I would put a note in everyday.  But I ended up leaving it open on my desktop.  I liked that I could add notes to do with a whole variety of things.  I am great for writing things down on scraps of paper and then loosing or misplacing them. I have a notebook for taking notes at meetings or things I need to do, or sometimes when a student or colleague requests help  I take notes.   However it’s hard to find the page where you wrote the piece of information when your under pressure!!  It's never as obvious as you think even if you did underline the page!!   It doesn’t look very professional flipping through pages looking for a note you wrote down.  I liked  that you could tag and search in the title and body of text. Adding links and attachments was consistent with programs I am using.  I did look for an insert function to upload images, but then discovered it was as easy as drag and drop!

It was useful to share ideas and class plans with colleagues.  I worked with one of the English teachers on a Make a Book project - I was also able to share with the teacher and  students  text, ideas and images for this project.

In work we use  microsoft office, some colleagues use Onenote.  As a result of this task I will take a look at using OneNote.   They both appear to allow you to collect, organize and share pictures.  I suppose the biggest benefit offered by these packages is that they do away with notebooks, post-its and pieces of paper I have been using to jot down random bits of information, thoughts, reminders, telephone numbers etc.  Once I have created notes in Evernote I have the ability to gain access using my tablet, or mobile phone.  Keeping everything together at one's finger tips!



1 comment:

  1. Good work Hilary, you are nearly there keep going!

    ReplyDelete

Thing 22: Reflection Engaged Professional

For the last month I have been "Running up that Hill."   I am almost there, I think??  This last badge has me thinkin...