Sunday 31 December 2017

Thing 3: Flickr for education......



Flickr is a great resource and  it makes sense for education. In schools we use digital media as a way of engaging students.  I found Flickr very straight forward after registering using my google account.

However I was disappointed initially with the quality of images that my searches retrieved but I guess that is inevitable with the huge numbers of images being uploaded.  Not every image will be great I suppose.  I found the social networking for me personally a bit distracting but then I wasn't interested in being part of  this photo community.  I just want to use the images!!!

Things improved when I clicked on Explore and looked around The commons and participating institutions.  I also found the trending menu interesting.  After exploring the site I definitely see students using the images to tell digital stories, capturing events with images and saving their work for project based learning in a digital portfolio.

With regard to uploading photographs in work, there would definitely be restrictions on using this website.  Photographs of activities and students would not be compatible with our Child Safety guidelines.  I see Flickr as a resource for creating resources to be used in the classroom by students and teachers.

flickr.com

https://www.education.ie/en/Contact-Us/List-of-Contact-Details/Flickr-Policy.html



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thing 22: Reflection Engaged Professional

For the last month I have been "Running up that Hill."   I am almost there, I think??  This last badge has me thinkin...